"Having just read the new afpop/Medal ‘Driving in Portugal’ booklet, available free to afpop members I was embarrassed at my lack of knowledge," according to an un-named media commentator.
Here are some questions to test the knowledge of those readers driving Portuguese registered cars –
- In what position must the Insurance and Inspection certificates be placed on the inside of your windscreen?
- What is the minimum fine for getting this wrong?
- Is it legal or illegal to flash a warning to oncoming motorists that there is a speed trap ahead?
- Is it legal or illegal to park against the flow of traffic?
- If you vehicle ‘appears abandoned, or appears unable to move on,’ how long can it be left before it is considered to be represent ‘abusive parking?’
- For how long can you legally park in a non-paying parking area?
- What extra items must you have on board when travelling in Spain?
- Do you know the precise legal routine when in an accident involving three cars or more?
- If you receive a provisional MOT listing minor deficiencies, can the police fine you if stopped?
Afpop members can get a copy of the booklet, essential for every glove pocket, by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 282458509. Have your membership number to hand.
Non-members can buy the booklet for €15 euros. This booklet is essential reading for renters if you let your villa or apartment or if you yourself need a refresher on the rules of the road.