Log in

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *

'Becoming a Portuguese Citizen' - update

portugalFollowing her article 'Become a Portuguese citizen AND keep your British passport,'  so far accessed by over 28,000 algarvedailynews.com readers, contributor Sue Fletcher has written more about the actual process of becoming a Portuguese citizen, one of the Brexit options available to British expatriates and one that she has been through, so writes with personal experience.
Most Brits who contemplate taking on Portuguese citizenship don’t want to give up their British nationality so the good news is that Portugal permits dual nationality and you can keep your British passport. Some other countries, e.g. Spain, do not permit a person to have dual nationality.
Several reasons for taking on Portuguese nationality:
⦁ Lifelong access to state healthcare. Amongst retired UK Expats across Europe, access to state healthcare is the most cited reason to move back to the UK.
⦁ Should you become mentally or physically incapacitated you will not have the worry of reapplying for a UK passport or Portuguese permanent residency, both of which only last for 10 years.
⦁ Certainty regarding your status in an EU country after Brexit. Currently, the agreement between the UK and the EU, permits those with legal residency to continue the process to permanent residency and then, after 6 years of temporary/permanent residency, the offer to take up Portuguese nationality. As I write this (20/03/18), nothing is ring-fenced, nothing is agreed until everything is agreed and there are still many unanswered questions.
⦁ The ability to live elsewhere in Europe unhindered after Brexit and enjoy all the benefits of being an EU citizen.
⦁ Being able to vote in national and European elections.
⦁ The ability for either yourself, or your dependents if they are subsequently eligible for Portuguese citizenship, to study anywhere in Europe.
⦁ Pick and choose which passport to use when travelling abroad. For example, a single entry 30-day tourist visa to China costs from ⦁ €60 for a Portuguese citizen, but from ⦁ £151 for a UK citizen.

Any UK citizen aged 18 or over may apply for naturalisation as a citizen of Portugal once they have resided legally for six or more years in the country. 
Currently, as an EU citizen, this will require first having the 5 year EU temporary residency from your local Câmara and then applying for permanent residency from your local SEF (O Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras) office.
NOTE: EU citizens are not required to sit the language test for permanent residency but non-EU citizens are. This means that once the UK departs from the EU we Brits will become non-EU citizens and will be treated as such. If you are considering taking out Portuguese permanent residency, and have 5 years of legal temporary residency, to be safe, do it ASAP and before Brexit in case a language test is imposed. A language test is required for all nationality applications both from EU citizens and non-EU citizens.
Citizenship is handled by the IRN (Instituto dos Registos e do Notariado) and advice can be sought from the local Conservatória. However, depending on where you live, you may find that you are the first person to ask and you may not get very far. I found this at my local Conservatória in Ourique, and whilst they were very friendly all they could do was to point me at the IRN website (HERE).
There are a variety of individual situations and therefore there are different forms from which to choose on the IRN website. All are in Portuguese only and different documentation may be required for different situations so read the requirements carefully.
Language test
Unless you are married to a Portuguese citizen or been in a ‘de facto’ relationship with a Portuguese (see below) you will need to prove you have sufficient command of the language use the link HERE for the detailed information on the language test as this is likely to be the hardest and most time consuming part of the whole process.
Send a certificated copy of the certificate. The cheapest place I have found for certifying photocopies is my local Junta de Freguesia. Each copy costs €10.
See below for further details.
Birth Certificate
If you have a UK birth certificate you will need to:
1. have it legalised in the UK (see below for this process),
2. translated into Portuguese, and
3. certified by a translator/Portuguese notary
If you require a copy of your UK birth certificate it is cheaper (and quicker) to contact the registry office where you were born, rather than through the centralised UK registry office (https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate).
The UK has not signed up to the EU agreement whereby personal documents from one EU state are accepted by another EU state, hence the requirement for legalisation.
This is not made clear on any of the forms and so my application has been held up as a result. You can get certain official UK documents ‘legalised’ by asking the Legalisation Office to confirm that the signature, stamp or seal is from a UK public official.
The Legalisation Office will check the document, including whether the signature, stamp or seal is genuine. They’ll legalise the document by attaching a stamped official certificate (an ‘apostille’) to it. The process is simple and can be accessed through the following link:
Currently, the cost for this is £30 per certificate in addition to the courier cost for its return.
Whilst documents such as birth and marriage certificates can be easily legalised through this service, other documents, for example those from HMRC, require a wet ink stamp or signature in order to be authenticated. It will save time if these are requested at the time of issuance.
You can’t get documents issued outside the UK legalised using this service - get them legalised in the country they were issued.
This document and the Apostille Certificate will also require translating into Portuguese and certifying by a translator and/or local notary.
Marriage Certificate
If you have changed your name since your birth certificate was issued, as is the case with many married women, you will need to prove you are entitled to use your acquired name. This can be done by having your marriage certificate legalised in the same way as your birth certificate. Your passport or driving licence is not sufficient.
Criminal Record
You must provide a certificate of your criminal record both from the UK and in Portugal. For the UK record you can apply online via:
Choose the ‘Police Certificates’ tab. Cost £45. It should take around 2 weeks and is sent by first class post.
This document does not need to be legalised.
For Portugal you need to go to your local Tribunal with either your passport or residencia. The cost is 5 euros and it takes around a week.
NOTE: Police record checks are only valid if issued within the 6-months prior to your application. The Portuguese check is only valid for 3-months. Therefore the advice is not to apply for either before you have had the results of your language test, just in case you fail.
If you are married to a native Portuguese citizen you may obtain Portuguese citizenship after five years as long as you make your declaration while you remain married. If you divorce or the marriage is annulled at a later date your Portuguese citizenship will not be rescinded.
If you are in a relationship with a native Portuguese citizen but not married, you may still obtain citizenship on the basis that you are in a ‘de facto union’ as long as the union has been officially recognised by a civil court.
In 2017 the law regarding naturalisation through marriage was altered and the main change refers to proof of an effective linkage to the Portuguese community.
This has always been part of the law but the law did not clarify what these requirements were, therefore it was up to the authorities to establish these criteria themselves.
Currently, the law clarifies what evidence proves an effective link to the Portuguese community. They are as follows:
1. You are a national of a Portuguese speaking country with proof that you have been married to or have been living with a native Portuguese for at least five years.
2. Have a native Portuguese partner and Portuguese children with whom you have been living for at least five years.
3. To know enough of the Portuguese language by passing the A2 CIPLE qualification or by proving you were educated in Portugal. If you do not have the knowledge of the Portuguese language, you can prove your connection through regular residence in Portuguese territory in the five years immediately preceding the request using your residence card. In addition, you must prove that you are enrolled with the Finanças and Health Centre.
Also I have read that you should send anything else with your application that proves you have been living and maybe working here, e.g. social security number; car registration number; a copy of house deeds; a copy of IMI payments etc. All prove a link to living in Portugal.
Marriage certificates issued in Portugal can only be used for official purposes for 6 months from the date of issue.
A new paper certificate can be quickly and easily requested from the local Loja de Cidadao. The fee is €20. Alternatively an online account can be setup if you have a Portuguese ID card, through which a distributable access code is issued. However, it is unclear whether this code can be used as part of your application. The cost for the online code, valid for 6 months, is €10.
All documents in English need to be translated into Portuguese by an accredited translator and certified against the originals at the Notario. Expect costs to be in the region of 70 euros per certificate. Unfortunately the Junta de Freguesia does not have the jurisdiction to certify the translations of birth and marriage certificates.
If you do not have a certified translator in your area I can recommend Alexandra Martinho. Email: alexandra.martinho@hotmail.com.
You will need to send the certified original documents to the IRN.
A payment of €250  must be made by cheque in Euros and must be verified by your Portuguese bank. Ask for this at the counter of your local branch. It is known as a 'cheque visado'
Once you have all the paperwork assembled and checked (I used a Portuguese solicitor), you should:
Deliver or post by registered mail to:
Conservatória dos Registos Centrais
Rua Rodrigo da Fonseca, 200
1099-003 Lisboa
Visit the following Conservatórias do Registo Civil:
Almada, Amadora, Aveiro, Barreiro, Braga, Coimbra, Évora, Faro, Guimarães, Lisboa, Mangualde, Ovar, Pombal, Ponta Delgada, Portalegre, Arquivo Central do Porto, Santarém, Silves, Tondela, Torres Vedras.
Over the past year there have been approximately 48,000 applications and there are only 5 people dealing with them.
On average they assess between 6-8 per day (just looking to see if they should be processed or not) not withstanding holidays, sick days etc. 
Each application is graded and dealt with according to grades once they have been loaded onto the system.  Priority is given to certain grades.
It will take a year or more for any application.
Good luck!
Sue Fletcher, March 2018