Log in

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *

Portugal introduces new ID Card for foreigners living In Portugal

Portugal Introduces New ID Card For Foreigners Living In PortugalThe Portuguese government is launching a new citizenship card for registered foreigners in Portugal, as part of the 'Simplex + 2018' programme. The aim is to streamline administration of all foreign citizens and reduce much of the country's bureaucracy. The Ministry announced that the new card will be issued in the final quarter of 2019.

Instead of the current 'residency card', by the end of 2019, all foreign nationals living in Portugal will need to have a valid Citizen's Card (Cartão do Cidadão).

The new card will incorporate social security, personal tax (NIF) and current health card (Cartâo de Utente) numbers. The scheme will bring foreign nationals living in Portugal in line with Portuguese citizens, who already have a similar ID card.

To apply for the new Cartão do Cidadão, foreign nationals will need to go to their nearest SEF (Service of Foreigners and Borders) and present their current ID card, passport or birth certificate, their Portuguese Taxpayer Card (NIF card or Numero de Identificação Fiscal), their Social Security Card, and any National Health System Card and Voter Card.

To find you closest SEF office, or to book an appointment online please CLICK HERE.

If you are a non-EU citizen you may qualify for the Golden Visa scheme in Portugal. This is a fast-track method for non-EU members and their family members to obtain Residency Permits in Portugal, with no direct tax implications/obligations for income generated outside Portugal.

See information on who the Golden Visa in Portugal is suitable for, the benefits and how to apply in this article Golden Visa Scheme Portugal - What You Need To Know.

Portugal also offers the Non-Habitual Residency Scheme (NHR) which, if you qualify, means you could enjoy a decade of generous tax breaks. See the following articles: The Advantages Of Portugal’s Non-Habitual Resident Tax Regime and How To Become A Non Habitual Resident In Portugal for more information.

If you are considering living full or part time in Portugal it is well worth speaking to Edge International Lawyers. They have offices in Algarve, Lisbon, Porto, London and Cape Verde. Their lawyers are fully conversant in several languages and always offer a high quality of service and professionalism.

See more information about the services Edge International Lawyers offer, or to contact a lawyer today to discuss your options at http://www.edge-il.com.

Contact Property Specialists Algarve anytime if you have questions regarding the new Citizen Card for foreigners, or the Golden Visa and NHR schemes in Portugal. We are happy to share our knowledge in these areas.

T:  +351 912 488 155 | +351 913 340 733
Instagram: propertyspecialistsalgarve

Pin It


0 #4 Alice F 2019-01-30 09:34
Actually Henrique very close to half the British population did not want to leave the EU, I was one of them, and those who live in Portugal are very happy living here because mostly there are very few people here who are are unpleasant and infantile as you!
0 #3 TPR 2018-12-15 12:01
Quoting Henrique:
You did want to get out of the EU, right?
I am sorry for my UK friends but just gtfo...

Thanks for that well-considered and apposite comment...
-10 #2 Henrique 2018-12-15 10:40
You did want to get out of the EU, right?
I am sorry for my UK friends but just gtfo...
0 #1 miryflituk@yahoo.co. 2018-09-03 14:07
Hello. I am a resident in Portugal. Got my pink residency card in 2016 and it is supposed to be good for 5 years at the end of which I can apply for citizenship. Have a SS number as I signed up with the Oficina de empregos as unemployed looking for a job. I might have to start paying 50 euro starting in January next year. Don't understand much about the subject. My husband it British and I am a non EU. We have property in central portugal since 2012 and still renovating. Can you guide me as to if I need to apply for the new card please?
Thank you

You must be a registered user to make comments.
Please register here to post your comments.